The ultimate hospital bag checklist for mommy, baby and daddy
You are getting closer and closer to your due date and finally meeting your baby. And the closer you get to meeting your baby, the more important it is to pack a hospital bag to make yourself more comfortable during labour and after your little one arrives. We created the ultimate hospital bag checklist for mommy, baby and daddy – yes, we didn’t forget about daddy.
Hospitals policies vary about what you are allowed to bring with you when you have your baby, so just check with the hospital too.
When to pack your hospital bag
Ideally, you should have your bag ready to go (besides last-minute items like your toothbrush) by 34 weeks, just in case baby decides to make his/her grand appearance early.
What to pack for mommy
- 2 – 3 Pairs of Comfortable, lose clothes in case you want to change during the day. You will still (unfortunately) look eight months pregnant and everything feels swollen, heavy and bruised.
- Pack loose pajamas, leggings, slippers, socks and a gown. Maternity wards are generally overheated so keep this in mind when packing your clothes.
- 5 Pairs of Comfortable Underwear
- Toiletries: Deodorant, Soap, Toothpaste, Toothbrush, hair brush, dry shampoo (a real lifesaver) Face creams, Lip-ice
- Disposable underwear
- Heavy duty sanitary pads
- Linen Savers
- Nursing Bras & Nipple Cream & Breast Pads
- Makeup essential if you wish
- Ziploc/plastic bags. These can be used to store dirty clothes, outfits for baby or toiletries.
- Snacks such as sweets, biscuits, juice and water. Hospital food is less than thrilling and the munchies tend to hit at 03:00 when the nurse is taking your blood pressure for the 18th time that day. Breastfeeding ladies also work up a huge appetite so snacks are essential!
- Favourite music on your phone
- Headsets or Earphones
- Phone Charger + two pin plug (just in-case)
- Your own pillow if it will make you more comfy
What to pack for baby
- 5 Vest and Baby Grows (pack 2 different sizes – newborn and 0-3 months, as you don’t know how big or tiny baby is going to be unless you know baby is coming way earlier and you need preemie clothing)
- Warm little socks or booties
- Baby hat (cotton)
- Going home outfit
- 2 – 3 receiving blankets/swaddle blankets
- 1 thicker cotton blanket
- Baby towel + face cloth
- Newborn sized dummy (if you plan on using one)
- 24 Disposable nappies or cloth nappies
- Wet wipes (sensitive)
- Barrier (bum/nappy) cream
- Baby body wash
- Baby cream/Vaseline
- If not breastfeeding – baby bottles, formula and sterilizing equipment
- Surgical Spirits and Cotton Wool
What to pack for daddy
- Change of clothes + toiletries in-case he needs to stay over
- Charger with two-point plug
- Important documents like medical aid card and information, Identity Documents of Parents, etc.
- A strong resolve -as you will be completing A LOT of forms
- Snacks (Biltong, Potato Chips, Dried Fruit)
- Water bottle, juice or soda (for you, trust me) and more of mom’s favourite soft drink
- GAME FACE as you need to support the woman who is giving birth
- Important – Baby’s Car Seat – The car seat will need to be properly installed before you can leave the hospital.
Now relax and embrace being mommy as much as possible!They grow up way to fast.